Own the Aloha Spirit No Matter Where You Live!

My first visit to Hawaii happened when I was about 22 years old and I will never forget it. The dense moisture in the air immediately dampens your skin ever so slightly and the warm, salty breeze kisses your skin and overcomes your senses with the heady scent of plumeria, gardenia, and sun-tan lotion. You find yourself taking a deep, cleansing breath to slow your heart rate and lower your blood pressure. After all, you're now on "island time" and everything functions at a much more laid back pace. Every time I go to the Hawaiian Islands, I attempt to bottle everything up so I can bring it home with me. I absolutely long for cool, humid mornings, pineapple with every meal, fresh seafood, and the white, frothy waves breaking against soft, warm sand. I crave the Islands when I am away. Since living in Paradise will more than likely not happen for us (that's a collective "us," by the way), I compiled a few ways to promote an Aloha state of mind even when you are thousands of miles away. *Note: This post contains product links.*

1. Lighten up, Brah!

I mean that in every sense of the word. Lighten up mentally; unload the mental baggage and allow yourself to enjoy and savor the moment. Lighten up physically; get rid of physical items bogging you down. Purge! Haven't worn that pair of jeans in 3 years and aren't even sure if they fit anymore? Donate them! Got a broken microwave sitting next to your guest bed in your basement? Toss it! There is a great Japanese organizational method called Konmari that helps you purge unwanted, unneeded belongings. The author, Marie Kondo is an organizational expert who has written four books on organizing your space. Given the fact that the land mass is not that large and that the cost of living is stunningly high, residents of the Hawaiian Islands do not generally live in large, spacious homes. Less space translates into less room for junk! The other way I mean to lighten up is in your color palette. Recently, my husband painted our whole house a very pale gray. We also changed out the pillows on our couch to turquoise/white and lime green/white. This has changed the entire look of our house. After this, we decided to begin adding more tropical touches to our decor. We've purchased some wall hangings with light, bright colors, framed in a soft, rustic, weathered wood. We added accents of starfish, sea shells, and colored glass to bring in the blue of the sky and ocean.


2. Go barefoot. A lot.

When you're in Hawaii, you'll notice a lot of locals are barefoot a lot. I don't mean walking down the street (although you may see some of that from time to time as well), but in the grass, on the beach, at the park, at home. Always at home. As a matter of fact, most people will ask you to remove your shoes upon entering their home. We have a sign on our front door asking people to remove their "slippahs" before coming inside. Not only does that not allow outside pollutants to enter your home and get tracked all over your carpet/wood/tile, but it encourages you to sit down and relax for a while. When you take your shoes off, you immediately feel as though you belong and are welcomed like one of the family.
Aside from being comfortable, walking barefoot has more benefits than one might think. It helps to increase your balance by allowing your body to feel the ground, the cracks, slight imperfections, and nuances that may otherwise be buffered by the soles of your shoes.


3. Spend time with nature.

The natural, tropical beauty of the Hawaiian Islands is taken very seriously by its inhabitants. They want to value the land and preserve as much of it as possible. And who can blame them?! It's absolutely beautiful! Take the time to just BE in nature and enjoy it and breathe it in; take an early morning hike or bike ride, read a book or enjoy a cup of coffee outside. You may notice an increase in mood and energy levels. Hawaii isn't called "One of America's Happiest States" for nothing. Plus, a little Vitamin D never hurt anyone! Just be sure to wear your sunblock.


4. Listen to Hawaiian music!

This should go without saying but still...Nothing reminds you of your tropical vacation more than listening to tropical music. Music is good for the soul. It has a profound effect on many, many people. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is a good one. Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu, Ledward Kaapana, and Na Leo Pilimehana are others. Here's a link to a great site that lists their thoughts on the all time best Hawaiian music. http://www.kingshawaiian.com/blog/the-all-time-best-hawaiian-music-playlist/

You can also listen live on i Heart Radio whenever the mood strikes you. Just search for Honolulu, Maui, etc. I am currently listening to 99.1 Hawaii No Ka'Oi


5. One word: P.O.G. (Well, technically it's 3 words, but who's counting?)


Err mah gerrd! If you have never had this tropical goodness, you must! POG Juice is pretty much a staple in Hawaii. You can order it anywhere. Restaurants, McDonalds, hotels, you name it. POG is an acronym for Passion Fruit, Orange, Guava. You can serve it iced, blended, with alcohol, without. It doesn't really matter. Currently, I am drinking my POG with a splash of pineapple and a shot of coconut rum. Oh, I also have a straw with a little umbrella just for good measure. It's not terribly easy to locate guava or passion fruit juice in your local grocer, but if you have an Asian market, Whole Foods, or World Market near you, I'm sure you'll find it. It's typically canned passion fruit and canned guava juices. As Roger Clyne once said, "As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round. And if your bottle's empty, help yourself to mine. Thank you for your time. And here's to life."


6. Maui Babe!


These products are uh-mazing. My mom and I found it during our first trip to Oahu. At the time, it was only sold on the Islands (you could always find it at the ABC Store), but I have since seen it at Ulta. Maui Babe is a browning lotion. It literally has ZERO SPF, so be careful. I am not a doctor by any means, so please do not read this and think it will protect you from getting burned, because IT. WILL. NOT. I don't use it when I plan to go in the sun for extended periods of time. If I have a little "me" time and want to lay out, then sure, slather me up. The browning lotion contains mineral oil, kukui nut oil, Kona coffee extract, aloe, and other ingredients. My legs are always particularly pale, so I will put a light SPF on my upper body, and the browning lotion on my legs when I am going to lay out for a little bit. The second product from Maui Babe that I use is the After Sun Lotion. This is a "tan enhancer and healer" but I just call it "AWESOME." It states that, if used immediately after tanning and consistently thereafter, it will seal in your color and prevent fading. The main ingredients are macadamia nut oil, aloe, Hawaiian water, etc. During my most recent trip to Ulta, I saw an end-cap featuring Maui Babe products and found that they have rolled out a Body Butter, Coffee Scrub, and lip balm! The body butter comes in a few different scents, ranging from coconut, mango, and passion fruit, to their original scent. The nice thing about their new lip balm is that it contains SPF 30. There is nothing worse than when your bottom lip gets sunburned! OK, there ARE worse things, but this is pretty bad too.


Ohana, this is just my short list, but I know there are many other ideas for "living Aloha," so please comment below what your thoughts are! Remember, Aloha doesn't just mean hello and goodbye. Aloha encompasses a feeling of love, family, and togetherness. You don't have to live in the Tropics to feel this way, you can express Aloha anywhere you are!

Mahalo!


Comments

Popular Posts